Please note, due to heavy donations of used books in recent weeks, we are temporarily not accepting donations at our Tallwood Distribution Centre (100 Tallwood Drive). Small donations of two boxes or less can still be brought to your closest Ottawa Public Library branch.
We raise over $250,000 for the Ottawa Public Library annually, with most funds coming from the operation of used bookstores, self-serve bookshelves in library branches, and specialty book sales run by volunteers.
We gratefully welcome book donations, as they provide us with most of the revenue we need to carry out our mission. But we can only sell books and items that are in good condition. Books that are outdated, moldy, smelly, torn, or yellowed cannot be sold. Undesirable books can be recycled in your black bin.
Your donations of two small boxes or less can be dropped off at your closest Ottawa Public Library branch, or to any Friends Volunteer Bookstore during opening hours. If you have a larger donation, or one you're not sure about, please call our volunteers at 100 Tallwood Drive at (613) 580-2424 ext. 27875 or ext. 27876 for further information. Appointments are necessary for these donations as we must notify Security, Receiving and Shipping of your visit and want to ensure we have adequate volunteer resources to handle your donation. Sorry, we are unable to pick up donations.
Due to limited space, we must stack boxes of donations. Therefore, for ease of storage and the safety of our volunteers, we cannot accept donations in plastic bags and/or boxes larger than 18"x 12"x 10". We do not issue tax receipts for book donations.
- No books with water damage, stains, mildew or musty smells, dirt
- No books with torn or missing pages, severe wear (especially paperback fiction)
- No books with loose or broken bindings (however, large format art, cookbooks or similar coffee table books (not Canada or Royalty) with broken spines can sometimes be repaired. If they are in otherwise good condition, please donate them.)
- No books showing signs of insect infestation or mold
WE RESPECTFULLY DECLINE:
- Any books which do not meet the Condition Requirements above
- Audio Cassettes, VHS Tapes
- Readers Digest condensed books
- National Geographic
- Trade and mass market paperback fiction (English or French)
- Hardcover fiction (English or French)
- Children's books: English, French, and foreign language
- Hard Science Books e.g. math, physics, etc.
- Social science or business textbooks less than 10 years old
- Computer books and health books less than 10 years old
- Any French textbooks regardless of age, especially science and math
- Car manuals of any vintage
- Antiquarian, rare and collectable books (pre 1950 with a copyright date)
- Foreign language books
- Nonfiction books
- Large print books (any type)
- Graphic novels and bandes dessinées
- DVDs and Blu-Ray Discs
- Audio books
- Travel guides less than 6 years old
- All travel writing
- Older guides and picture books pre-40s and anything unusual
- Older computer books, especially programming published pre-early 1980s
- Health or medical books from the 1930s or older
- Dorling Kindersley (DK) Eyewitness guides regardless of age
- Genre-specific encyclopedia e.g. math, philosophy etc.
- Older encyclopedia pre-1930, and any other Readers Digest publications
- Anything unusual: wonderfully weird old pamphlets and ephemera, especially older things.