Bibliophiles who buy from our book stores and special sales find great books at unbeatable prices, and the Ottawa Friends have raised $3.5 million for Ottawa’s public libraries since 1981.
The Friends also advocate for the Ottawa Public Library, and we have experienced some wonderful results:
- In 2007, our Save Our Services mail-in campaign helped prevent the closure of 10 library branches
- In 2008, our advocacy efforts helped prevent a reduction in the 2008 library budget
- In 2009, we advocated to federal government for infrastructure grants
- In 2010, we launched the Love Our Libraries campaign to track candidates’ views of the OPL before the municipal election
- In 2011, we began a new line of operation by partnering with the online bookseller, Better World Books
Our influence has garnered some recognition...
Gabriele Schreiber (Random House of Canada) "Friends of the Year" Award: FOPLA won this award in 2009, and the Friends of the Ottawa Public Library (before the amalgamation) also won in 1999.
Friends of the Library Day: Mayor Larry O’Brien officially declared June 25, 2008 as FOPLA Day in the City of Ottawa.
BRODART/FOCAL Award: In 2008, the Friends received this award for embarking on a city-wide awareness and publicity campaign to prevent library closures and protect the Ottawa Public Library budget.
June Callwood Award: In 2008, the Friends received Ontario’s inaugural June Callwood Award for Outstanding Achievement in Volunteerism.
Friends of the USA Libraries Baker & Taylor Award: FOPLA was given this award for outstanding achievement by a library friends group in 2007 for preventing library budget cuts in the 2008 City budget.